GP2GP in England
GP2GP enables the electronic transfer of computerised patient notes from a patient's previous practice to a new practice, when they register for primary health care, see GP2GP England for details.
The main benefits of GP2GP are:
- Improved Quality and Continuity of Care:
- Full patient electronic health record available for the patient's first appointment, which results in a more focused and informed consultation.
- Past medical history available and information about medication, allergies, adverse reactions, immunisations and vaccinations.
- Improved Safety:
- Fewer transcribing errors and omissions, the need to key in information from paper records is greatly reduced.
- Allergies and adverse reactions are flagged for review for new patients, resulting in safer prescribing.
- Clinical Time Saving:
- The electronic health record contains information such as lab results and letters from specialists, which helps in the clinical decision-making process.
- This also means there are fewer requests for unnecessary duplicate lab tests.
- Administrative Time Saving:
- The need to key information from paper records is greatly reduced. This results in quicker summarisation of new patient records.
- Attachments received electronically, which results in time saved not having to re-scan items into the patient's electronic health record.
- Quality and Outcomes Framework information populated immediately when a patient's electronic health record is integrated.
Vision 3 receives and files records coded in both Read and SNOMED CT terms.